- 1. Introduction
- 2. What Personal Information does Dare Foods Collect?
- 3. Why does Dare Foods Collect Personal Information?
- 4. How does Dare Foods Collect, Use and Disclose Personal Information?
- 5. To Whom does Dare Foods Disclose Personal Information?
- 6. Privacy and Dare Foods’ Websites
- 8. Who to Contact and Making Changes to Your Personal Information
- 9. Unsolicited Information
3. WHY DOES DARE FOODS COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?Dare Foods and its agents, affiliates and service providers may collect, use and/or disclose Personal Information for one or more of the following purposes:
- to understand consumer needs and preferences, and to communicate with website visitors and consumers;
- to administer the Dare Foods Consumer Services Contact Centre and to respond to consumer inquiries;
- to conduct surveys, contests and promotions;
- to conduct research and statistical analysis;
- to distribute Dare Foods newsletters, promotional information, product samples, coupons and other material to individuals who have voluntarily enrolled in our mailing lists and/or emailing lists, including via third party mailing houses;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell, provide and inform individuals of, Dare Foods products and services;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell, provide and inform individuals of, products and services of third parties, including our affiliates and suppliers, with whom Dare Foods has a commercial relationship;
- to update and verify Dare Foods databases and information provided by third parties;
- to monitor communications to ensure the consistency and quality of the products and services of Dare Foods, its affiliates, suppliers, distributors, retailers and other third parties with whom Dare Foods has a commercial relationship;
- with respect to individual service providers, suppliers, distributors and retailers, to: (1) consider whether Dare Foods or any of its affiliates should establish or continue a commercial relationship, including without limitation, to extend credit and to evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information, to check references and to confer with banking institutions; and (2) establish and maintain commercial relationships, to provide products and services, administer accounts, make and receive payments, facilitate product delivery and returns, and fulfil contractual obligations;
- to detect and protect Dare Foods and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud and other illegal activity, and to comply with Dare Foods audit requirements, and to audit compliance with Dare Foods policies, procedures, laws and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions that may involve the sale or transfer of personal information, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving Dare Foods or its affiliates or any particular brand, product line or business unit;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any laws or regulations; and
- for any other purpose to which an individual consents.
Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal InformationDare Foods identifies the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the personal information is collected. Some of the identified purposes for which Dare Foods currently collects, uses or discloses personal information are described in Section 3 above.
Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal InformationThe knowledge and consent of an individual are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of his or her personal information, except as permitted by law. In obtaining consent, Dare Foods uses reasonable efforts to ensure that an individual is advised of the identified purposes for which personal information will be used or disclosed. In determining the appropriate form of consent, Dare Foods takes into account the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations of a reasonable person. An individual may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. At that time, Dare Foods will advise the individual of the implications of such withdrawal.
Limiting Collection of Personal InformationDare Foods limits the collection of personal information, both the amount and the type of information, which is necessary for the purposes identified by Dare Foods. Dare Foods collects personal information by fair and lawful means, and not by misleading or deceiving individuals about the purpose for which information is being collected.
Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention of Personal InformationDare Foods does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than the identified purposes for which it is collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required or permitted by law. Dare Foods retains personal information only as long as is necessary to fulfil the identified purposes.
Accuracy of Personal InformationPersonal information held by Dare Foods is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. Information will be sufficiently accurate, complete, and up-to-date to minimize the possibility that inappropriate information may be used to make a decision about an individual. Dare Foods does not routinely update personal information, unless such process is necessary to fulfil the identified purposes. We rely on individuals to inform us of any changes to their personal information. To update your personal information, please see Section 8 below.
Security SafeguardsDare Foods protects personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Dare Foods uses reasonable efforts and security measures to protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification, disposal or destruction.
Individual Access to Personal InformationUpon written request from an individual, Dare Foods will inform the individual of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information and, subject to certain exceptions provided by law, will give the individual a reasonable opportunity to review the personal information collected by Dare Foods who will make every reasonable effort to provide personal information in an understandable form within a reasonable time, generally within 30 days, and at minimal cost to the individual. An individual will be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate. If access is denied, Dare Foods will inform the requesting individual in writing.
5. TO WHOM DOES DARE FOODS DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION?In addition to the purposes identified above, from time to time Dare Foods may collect or disclose personal information from or to:
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of Dare Foods, is providing or seeking the information as an agent of the subject individual, such as a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13;
- service providers retained by Dare Foods to perform functions on its behalf or to provide services to Dare Foods, such as advertisers, promotion and mailing houses, market researchers, delivery contractors, auditors, website administrators, data processing, information technology and office services, provided such organization or individual does not collect, use or disclose the personal information for any purpose other than to perform such functions or provide services to Dare Foods; or
- any third party where the subject individual consents to such collection, use or disclosure, or as required or permitted by law.
6. PRIVACY AND DARE FOODS WEBSITES
Online and Offline CommunicationsIn order to provide you with a product, service or information, you may voluntarily submit personal information to us for purposes such as registering for our services, obtaining information, corresponding with us, and participating in contests and surveys. We may combine and store personal information about your use of our websites and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
EMail CommunicationsIf you subscribe to any of our e-newsletters or other similar website services, Dare Foods may send you email communications with information that may be useful to you, including information about the products and services of Dare Foods, its affiliates and other third parties with whom we have a commercial relationship. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of your preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future marketing or promotional emails from Dare Foods. In addition, at any time you may let us know that you wish to discontinue such mailings or contact by contacting the Consumer Services Contact Centre.
LinksOur websites may contain links to other websites which are provided to you as a convenience only. You are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy practices than Dare Foods, and Dare Foods Limited has no responsibility for such third party websites.
- to correct, update or delete your personal information from our records
- to correct, update or delete personal information that your child under age 13 has provided to Dare Foods
- to unsubscribe from mailings and other Dare Foods Limited mailings
Dare Foods Service Providers, Suppliers, Distributors, Retailers and for all other privacy-related inquiries:
Date Last Revised: January 9, 2009
Effective October 6, 2004
Description of Revisions: