- 2-3 tbsp (30-45 ml) butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp (7 ml) lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus
- 1/2 pound (225 g) prosciutto, thinly sliced lemon slices for garnish
- 1 cup (250 ml) Breton cracker crumbs (about 15 crackers)
1. Melt butter in a skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add cracker crumbs and cook until lightly browned. Add lemon zest and parsley. Set aside.
2. Cut off tough ends of asparagus and steam until tender (about 5 minutes). Or microwave with ¼ cup water covered for 3-5 minutes. Do not over cook.
3. Wrap three to four asparagus with a piece of prosciutto. Continue until all asparagus are wrapped.
4. Sprinkle with cracker mixture. Garnish with lemon slices.
Instead of wrapping asparagus, crisp the prosciutto or bacon and crumble on top of cracker crumbs. Drizzle pre-packaged hollandaise or lemon sauce over asparagus then top with cracker crumbs. Makes a wonderful appetizer or side dish to main meal.