Chili Con Queso
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz package (225 g) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz package (225 g) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 8 oz package (225 g) medium sharp Cheddar cheese
- Breton crackers or Breton Original Bites
- Cilantro or scallions for garnish
1. In medium saucepan melt butter. Add garlic, mushrooms, green pepper and jalapeño pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender (4 to 5 minutes).
2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Continue cooking, stirring often, until cheese is melted (7 to 8 minutes).
3. Serve warm in crock or ramekin with Breton or Vinta crackers. Garnish with jalapeño pepper and cilantro or scallions.
Prepare this cheese dip ahead and heat in saucepan or microwave before serving. For extra spice add an additional jalapeño pepper finely chopped.